ONLINE INFORMATION RESOURCES
SPECIALIZED PLANT DATABASES
- Global Plants (JSTOR) - A plant type specimens database, with community-contributed collections from more than 300 herbaria from around the world.
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species -- List of plants on the IUCN Redlist. To access the entire list (plants and animals), visit the Red List hompage.
- PLANTS Database -- Information about plants in the United States and US territories. Maintained by USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service.
- Royal Botanic Garden's Multisite Search Engine -- Searches the living collections of 28 conservation databases from botanic gardens and arboretums around the world.
- Seed Dormancy & Generation Bibliography -- Database of 12,000 publications related to seed dormancy and germination covering the period between 1890 and 1998. Maintained by Prof. G.M. Simpson from the University of Saskatchewan.
- Threatened Plants Database -- Contains information on over 136,000 plant taxa based on 19,000 data sources. From UNEP-WCMC.
PLANT CONSERVATION ORGANIZATIONS
- Botanic Gardens Conservation International --
International organization focused on world-wide conservation of threatened plants. Botanic gardens make up the majority of membership.
- Center for Plant Conservation -- Organization "dedicated solely to preventing the extinction of U.S. native plants." National headquarters located at Missouri Botanic Garden.
- Centre for Plant Research -- Website of the University of British Columbia Botanical Garden & Centre for Plant Research, which is dedicated to the conservation of plant life worldwide through scientific research, education efforts, and maintaining plant biodiversity.
- Global Trees Campaign -- A joint initiative between Fauna & Flora International (FFI) and Botanic Gardens Conservation International (BGCI), the Global Trees Campaign is the only international campaign dedicated to saving threatened trees.
- International Seed Saving Institute (ISSI) -- Non-profit focused on maintaining agricultural diversity through seed saving.
- Pacific Island Ecosystems at Risk -- Listings and descriptions of plant species that threaten ecosystems of the Pacific islands. Site maintained by USFWS's Institute of Pacific Islands Forestry.
- Plant Conservation Alliance -- Website of the PCA, an organization dedicated to solving the problems of native plant extinction and native habitat restoration. Site maintained by Bureau of Land Management.